ss_blog_claim=717b5d5b567d542ee432bc6c41d5dfbf Dust Mite Control Possible?

Dust Mite Control Possible?

Dust mites is a nasty word for millions of allergy sufferers. The tiny microscopic allergens (bugs) are something many homeowners do not even wish to discuss but rest assured, are crawling from one end of your house to the other. Recent reports as of late debate the effects of "fighting against mites" and whether or not there is any benefit. These recent reports and articles however aim towards not just allergy sufferers of mites, but those with Asthma. An interesting read either way. Having this very allergy myself, and having experience with bed covers and pillow case covers vs not having them, I personally see a BIG difference in my symptoms. After all you spend more time on your mattress/bed than any one other place. As far as the rest of the house , perhaps these articles do have merit. I do not know, but I thought the recent reports would be an interesting read none the less.

Commonly agreed ways to reduce your home exposure to dust-mite allergens:

  • Get white sheets and pillowcases for your bed and wash them every week in very hot water. Wash the mattress pads and blankets, too.
  • Vacuum regularly, but not within two hours of bedtime. A HEPA filter isn't necessary and may not help. If you're allergic to dust mites, wear a dust mask while vacuuming or get out of the house while someone else vacuums. Vacuums raise residual dust, and you should wait for it to settle.
  • Remove stuffed animals and dusty clutter from the bedroom.
  • Remove upholstered furniture from the bedroom and from other rooms in which you spend a lot of time.
  • Get a dehumidifier. Dust mites love humidity. Keeping humidity in the 30% to 50% range helps control dust mites.
  • Consider putting mite-blocking covers on your mattress and pillows.
  • Consider removing fabric window coverings and replacing them with plastic ones.
  • Get rid of tapestries or fabric wall hangings.
  • Consider replacing carpeting with tile or wooden floors.
  • Do not hire a duct-cleaning service. Dust mites do not live in working heating and air-conditioning ducts.
  • Clean the air filters on your furnace/air conditioner at least once a month.


Things I was told from my allergenist were also to make sure clothing was put away in drawers/closets with doors closed for clean clothing, or in a sealable bag/hamper in the case of laundry in a laundering room (or away from bedroom). As well I was told to keep paper to a minimum around the house. Or paper products for that matter. I've failed on much of these reccomendations, except those regarding the bedroom and sleeping habits, and I found that alone made a huge difference just following the bedroom reccomendations.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well at least I know I am not alone when I wonder if I am really making any difference with trying to reduce Dust Mites around the house. I'd like to think I am, but My allergies havnt let up much.